Imagine the smile and sense of comfort from our comfort bag items
Help provide comfort bags to children and young adults in need. Together we can brighten and inspire them and make a difference in their lives!
Susie Q's Kids was founded in honor of our daughter Susie McBride-Welsh who passed in June 2017. She loved kids and was a strong advocate for helping others, especially kids. She was in the hospital often, had a foster friend as a child, and donated to a local shelter with time and products when possible. On her first birthday, after she passed, we had a celebration of life and created bags for kids in foster care. We had family and friends from 3-90 years of age, reminiscing and enjoying the day helping others. Our non-profit organization and mission were born that day.
Imagine a child:
- In the hospital with a comfort bag of goodies to color, draw, play, and feel comforted and inspired as they battle their health issue.
- Placed in foster care/shelter with garbage bags full of their clothes, away from their family, and placed with strangers. Can you see the importance of having some comfort items of their own and knowing that others cared enough to provide him/her with this token of caring and support?
- Who lost a family member? As a child, that person is not only gone, but everyone is different, and they miss the old days. Imagine a child reading a grief book (included in our bags) tailored to young children honoring their loved ones, sharing feelings they may be having, and letting them know it will be OK as their loved ones are always with them in memory.
Learn more about:
- Susie Q's Kids https://susieqskids.org/
- Founder Dr. Mary Welsh, author, speaker, grief coach https://drmarywelsh.com/
Dr. Mary wrote a children's grief book and a coloring book following the death of her daughter Susie. The grief book included in the grief comfort bags addresses the questions her five grandchildren asked about their Aunt Susie. It is great for starting a dialogue about their feelings.
She also created a coloring book included in all the comfort bags that demonstrates the good characteristics children should model and has positive sayings to inspire them.
Dr. Mary wrote about her grief journey, an adult book looking at the grief process, her research, speaking with other bereaved parents, and forming small short sections with key takeaways to help the reader focus on their roadmap to discovery. Additionally, she created a journal for daily reflections on your path to hope and healing.
Her books all focus on The Four Aspects of Positive Reflection: Remember, Reflect, Recreate and Relate. The power of positivity can turn the negative self-talk of 'What Ifs' to positive thoughts of' But I Did Statements' which can make the path of a grieving adult or child a little easier.
The proceeds from our books support Susie Q's Kids, thus making a difference in the lives of children.
- Journey into the Looking Glass: Finding Hope After the Loss of Loved Ones (adult grief book)
- Journey into the Looking Glass: The Four Aspects of Positive Reflection (an adult journal)
- Susie Q's Positive Reflection: My Special Angel (a child's grief book)
- Susie Q's Positive Reflection: Good Characteristics (a coloring book)
Learn more about: